Subject: Python wrapper
From: Keith Dart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:49:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I am attempting to create Python language bindings to libsmi. I'm using
SWIG to do this. However, this is my first attempt at using SWIG so the
current implementation is less than optimal. In any case, I have attached
a tar file that contains the python wrapper code for inclusion in libsmi
package. This also includes "shadow" classes, and a higher-level interface
into libsmi called SMI. Again, this is just a first cut, and I wouldn't
mind some feedback with it (especially from those that have used SWIG
before).

BTW, I think the libsmi API could be changed a little in ways that won't
affect it too much but would make it easier to wrap for scripting
languages. For example, adding an OID structure that nodes such as SmiNode
have pointers too would be nice. 

On a side note, why does having only a single "." in a module name imply
a full path? It could just be a file with an extension, such as
"my_module.mib", or "anothermodule.txt". These latter names won't be found
with the current name checking, as the path is not searched in this case.

Overall, a really nice piece of work. Thanks for doing this, it was sorely
needed, and a great boon to my little project. In case you're interested,
I'm writing a "next-generation" scotty, called "Jordy", but using Python
instead of Tcl.

                       /___\\|//__////
                       \   (+ +)  \\\\
-- --------------------oOOo~(_)~oOOo----------------------------------------
Keith Dart 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
<http://www.kdart.com/~kdart/>
============================================================================